“Loaded carries show you the limiting factors with your shoulder stabilizers instead of your prime movers – how long can you maintain postural integrity under load?” – Gray Cook
Huge fan of loaded carries and we do a ton of loaded carries with UNH Volleyball for a handful of reasons;
- Reflexive firing of the rotator cuff
- Challenges the stabilizers of the hip
- Improves scapular stability in an unstable environment
- Challenges/improves core stability
- Improves grip strength – and grip strength has been linked to improved shoulder health
After performing lots of suitcase carries, farmers carries, bottoms up carries amongst others throughout the spring we decided to give the core/shoulder/hip stabilizers a real challenge and perform a combo carry. A lot tougher then it looks.